Yesterday participated as observer at an AutoCad technical drawing course. I knew how to use AutoCad tools but wanted to see the drawing techniques. It was very interesting to notice the differences and similarities between drawing styles of the engineers. The main idea was they were all drawing some helper lines and establishing base points for their drawings.
Identified the most important functionality that boosts productivity, most of these are already scheduled in next iterations:
- the Ortho and Polar tools that are blocking the angles at which the users can draw seem the most important,
- possibility to offset a line at a specified distance - we could implement this by enabling our Translate tool to be called also from command line. Functionality that will be used to to make the helper lines,
- layers and functionality attached to them are very useful and practical for more complicated projects,
- tool to draw dimensions between two points - possible to use also as a measurement tool,
- add infinite lines,
- the trim and extend tools seem very useful. Will study how these apply in the 3D modeling world,
- mirror, move, copy relative to a base point - mainly we have this functionality - we just need some refinements.